Pages

Jan 20, 2011

Ribbons and Bows

Today, a simple, quick craft.  
All you need is a basic headband, a few yards of your favorite ribbon, and a hot glue gun.
My mom used to do this for/with me when I was a little girl.

I loved having ribbons in my hair.
(Still do.)

Simple Ribbon Headband

1.  Gather your supplies - headband, ribbon of choice, hot glue gun (not pictured).

2.  Place a dollop of glue on the bottom inside surface of one of the arms of the headband and attach the ribbon.  You'll have to fold the end of the ribbon around the bottom edge of the headband's arm in order to cover the tip.  (I just played with it a couple times before gluing to make sure I had it right).


3.  Give the end a moment to dry.  Once it is secure, begin wrapping the ribbon around the headband, making sure to overlap each turn of the ribbon over the last (how much overlap depends on the width of the ribbon and how much pattern you want to show).  Be sure to add a small bead of hot glue every so often along the way to secure the ribbon to the headband.

**I am missing a few photos here of the next couple steps, but they're not too difficult to do!  Next time I'll be more diligent with my photo documentation.**

4. Once you have wrapped the ribbon enough to cover the entire headband, fold the final end under and secure with another dollop of hot glue.  
(Dollop is a fun word, no?)

5.  You can certainly stop after step 4 and have a cute, personalized headband.  

You can also keep going by adding an embellishment.  
Since this particular band was for my 1-year-old daughter, I went with a bow made from the same ribbon.  But you can use whatever decoration you like!  
A flower!
A brooch!
Feathers!
You could even Bedazzle it!  
(Bedazzle - another fun word)

(I made this bow by folding the ribbon a few times and hot gluing them together with a center band)



An in about with about 15 minutes worth of work and $5 worth of supplies, you have the perfect head adornment!


And if this headband can stand up to my daughter during a family holiday, then it's virtually indestructible.
Now if only I can figure out how to get her to keep it on her head and stop pulling it off and throwing it across the room... It probably wouldn't be good to hot glue it to her head...right?

Oh, but I love my hot glue gun.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment