Pages

Jan 28, 2011

Love is in the air...

Last weekend we hosted assorted family members (my dad, my grandma, various aunts, an uncle and a cousin or two) at our house for a 2 day sports extravaganza.  You see, I come from a long line (and a huge family) of Notre Dame fans.  And given that I live less than a mile from campus, my house has become quite popular during football and basketball season.  And I love.every.minute of being able to host my vistors.

They come from far away lands, you know...  Like Chicago, Missouri, Kansas...  and Connecticut...

Anyway, as I was preparing the house for my guests' arrival, I felt it was looking a little dull.  I had taken the Christmas decorations down a couple weeks prior, and it was feeling empty around here.  So what better time is there to start decorating for Valentines day?!

I didn't want to spend any money if I could help it, so I dug deep into my scrapbooking supplies, and here's what I came up with:


This is our "mantle".  We don't actually have a fireplace, but we have this wide ledge next to our front stairway that I have adopted as our mantle... we hang our Christmas stockings here and it serves as the home for all of our favorite family portraits.

(please excuse the glare from the window.  The sun is out for approximately the 2nd time since 
November here in Northern Indiana!)


Everything I needed to know to decorate this spot, I learned in Kindergarten.  Literally.  I just chose a bunch of different patterns of pink and red craft paper, folded it in half, and used my safety scissors cut out a bunch of different sized hearts at random.  Then a little scotch tape magic and they were up!

***


Above my kitchen sink... my kiddo on her 1st Valentines day last year. 
(pink heart frame -- Goodwill, $0.50).

***


The back door needed a little love too.
I just sandwiched a length of decorative ribbon between two cut-out hearts and taped it to the curtain rod.
There are a few more of these in all different sizes hanging in various windows and doorways throughout the house, but my house is too messy right now to photograph those I think you get the picture.

***


And last but certainly not least, this little painting... which was made for me by my little sister (who is 10 years younger than I am) in 2005...when she was 11.  It sits in the corner of my kitchen under the microwave.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the bananas are sitting in the fruit bowl, browning away, while the small white dish that used to contain a large bag's worth of M&M's is already empty.  
That is how we roll around here.

***

I have a few more projects in mind, once I get a chance (hopefully over the weekend - no sports to watch!), and I will post them as I get them done.

Until then, have a good weekend.

And spread some love around!


1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is Pat, Taylor and Arlie's mom in Hickory. You make me laugh out loud at various times but particularly today on the banana vs m & m's comment! Love your pics of your house and your precious baby girl!!
    Luvs, Pat

    ReplyDelete